Overview of Requirements
To graduate with an M.S. in Mathematics, a student must satisfy all of the following requirements:
- For those admitted Fall 2017 or after: Satisfactorily complete a minimum of 30 credits in courses approved by the student’s advisory committee.
- For those admitted before Fall 2017: Satisfactorily complete a minimum of 24 credits in courses approved by the student’s advisory committee.
- Satisfy one of the following:
- Pass two prelims of the Ph.D. in Mathematics program at the level of a master’s pass.
- Pass an oral exam; typically taken during the last semester of the study.
- Write a master’s thesis under the direction of a member of the Graduate Faculty. In this case, the student must complete at least 15 credits of course work and a minimum of 9 additional credits of Master’s Thesis Research, GRAD 5950, or Full-time Master’s Research, GRAD 5960.
- Thesis templates (for LaTeX) are available on our Thesis Formatting page.