University of Connecticut

Financial Aid

Support from the Department

Financial support for graduate students may be available, most commonly in the form of a teaching assistantships.

For students in one of the Ph.D. programs, research assistantships (RA) may be available from faculty members. If funding permits, the Department awards research assistantships to students who are in the spring of their final year to allow them to focus on their thesis.

Special university scholarships for both outstanding and multi-cultural students are also available; these are awarded as a supplement to a teaching or research assistantship.

Both half-time and full-time TAs receive a tuition waiver and the right to purchase an excellent highly subsidized health insurance plan. For particulars, check the Human Resources Website.

Submitting scores from the GRE General Test is highly recommended for applicants for financial aid.

Support from the Q Center

The Q Center has a limited number of half-time teaching assistantships available. Graduate students are thus sometimes able to obtain half an assistantship from the department and another half from the Q Center.

About Teaching Assistantships

All students obtaining a teaching assistantships are expected to take the math department pedagogy course during the first fall semester of the
student’s enrollment into the program.

The department offers a broad range of teaching experiences to its TAs. After an initial period of teaching lower division and service courses, qualified students may choose to teach an upper-division
course. The teaching assistant experience is unique in the sense that, unlike in most departments, a grad student effectively lectures a course, rather than limiting himself or herself to grading and
monitoring discussion sections. This experience has proven to be a very valuable asset during the job search after graduation.

Technology is incorporated into many courses. Group learning experiences are also stressed.

Intersession and Summer Support

Some opportunities for teaching during the Summer Session and Winter Intersession are also available, and
provide additional financial assistance. Graduate students can also work for programs outside the department
of mathematics:

  • CAP is a summer program to encourage incoming freshmen. A preliminary selection of instructors and tutors is done through the Department of Mathematics.
  • The summer Bridge Program, run by the School of Engineering.

In addition, some faculty research grants have funds to support research assistants during summer. Usually,
those are given to students in the Mathematics Ph.D. Program.

Continuing Support

The Department will do its best, within its available resources, to continue to support all students who were admitted into one of the Ph.D. programs as a teaching assistants, as long as they remain in good standing, for a period of five years. Support beyond five years as teaching assistants will be considered on a case-by-case basis. As resources permit, the Department will also attempt to support as teaching assistants those students who were not admitted as teaching assistants but attain good standing through the passing of the preliminary examinations.

Pay Scales

The exact amounts can be found on the Graduate Payroll
information sheet. The three levels of pay are

  • (B) Beginners
  • (M) Masters : This level you attain after you have passed two prelims and have succesfully completed 24 credits
    of approved coursework (not counting the pedagogy seminar).
    Students entering the program with a relevant masters degree can apply to the department of mathematics
    to be payed according to this scale from the beginning.
  • (P) Ph.D. : This level is given after all prelims and the Oral Exam have been succesfully completed.