Directions from Providence
Take Route 6 west out of Providence. Stay on Route 6 (it's a long slog) until you reach an exit labeled Route 195/Univ. of Connecticut. (Shortly before that exit the road splits and you stay on the right fork to remain on Route 6 -- the sign overhead says Hartford -- rather than go on the left fork which would be Route 66.) At the end of the exit ramp is a traffic light. Take a right and you'll soon reach a T-intersection at another traffic light. You are facing Route 195. Take a left, which puts you on Route 195 North.
- Route 195 North will take you directly to the campus, which is about 6 miles down the road from your turn onto Route 195. If, during the drive, you are wondering if you're going the right way, feel free to pull over and ask in a store if you're going the right way towards UConn.
- Eventually the trees fall away and you will see lots of buildings and a high school on the left, and you pass by some stores on your right. The campus area is coming up just ahead, mostly on your left.
- To show you what the local area is like, look at a campus map. An interactive map is
here, where you can search for
the math department as MONT and the nearest parking garage as SPRK.
A downloadable map is here.
- You'll be on Route 195 (called Storrs Road) coming in from the bottom
edge of the downloadable map. After passing through downtown Storrs, shortly after the commercial buildings end you'll be at a traffic light and
take a left turn off of Route 195 onto Mansfield Road
(no more commericial buildings)
and then drive along Mansfield Road (it curves right). Take a left at the first stop sign, which puts you on Gilbert Road.
- Take Gilbert Road all the way until the end, where it T-intersects with Hillside Road, and take a right onto Hillside Road. When you reach the stop sign on Hillside with the domed Gampel Pavilion in front of you on the left, take a left turn here onto Jim Calhoun Way and drive until the building/garage on your left side ends. This is the South
parking garage, which is marked SPRK (= South Parking Structure) on the map.
The garage costs money, but the department can validate the parking
stub you'll pick up when you go into the garage so you needn't pay at
all when you leave it later. (Rates for the South parking garage can be found
The math department is located back in Monteith. Ask people walking by, or in the bookstore adjacent to the garage, how to get to Monteith if your smartphone doesn't tell you this (precise address: 341 Mansfield Road, Storrs, CT 06269).
There are parking spaces on Whitney Road adjacent to the math department and they become available after 5 PM or on weekends, so you can use the spaces during those times without getting a ticket. But during regular business hours (weekdays before 5 PM) you should use the South parking garage.
- Once you reach the math department, enter it and take the stairs or elevator if necessary to find the office of the person you are visiting.