Directions from New York City or New Haven
- Take either the Merritt Parkway or I-95 to I-91 north. (The Merritt Parkway is nicer since there aren't trucks on it, unlike I-95). On I-91 north, switch to I-84 east as you approach Hartford (i.e., drive as if you are going from to Boston, if you've taken that trip before). Get off I-84 east at exit 68 (Signs for that exit mention the Univ. of CT.)
- When you reach the end of the exit ramp, take a right (onto Route 195) and go about 7 miles.
- You will be driving on Route 195 through the middle of nowhere for
those seven miles. During this time you will pass through 3
intersections where there will be gas stations or other stores. You
could stop at any of these places to check that you're still heading
towards UConn if you think you're driving aimlessly.
- Eventually the trees fall away and you will see the campus. (The
change will be quite noticeable.)
- To show you what the local area is like, look at a campus map. An interactive map is
here, where you can search for
the math department as MONT and the nearest parking garage as SPRK.
A downloadable map is here.
- You'll be on Route 195 (called Storrs Road) coming in from the top
edge of the downloadable map. After passing a lake on your right,
take a right turn off of Route 195 onto Mansfield Road
(the downtown Storrs area is ahead of you on Route 195 if you were to keep going)
and then drive along Mansfield Road (it curves right). Take a left at the first stop sign, which puts you on Gilbert Road.
- Take Gilbert Road all the way until the end, where it T-intersects with Hillside Road, and take a right onto Hillside Road. When you reach the stop sign on Hillside with the domed Gampel Pavilion in front of you on the left, take a left turn here onto Jim Calhoun Way and drive until the building/garage on your left side ends. This is the South
parking garage, which is marked SPRK (= South Parking Structure) on the map.
The garage costs money, but the department can validate the parking
stub you'll pick up when you go into the garage so you needn't pay at
all when you leave it later. (Rates for the South parking garage can be found
The math department is located back near Mirror Lake, in Monteith. Ask people walking by, or in the bookstore adjacent to the garage, how to get to Monteith if your smartphone doesn't tell you this (precise address: 341 Mansfield Road, Storrs, CT 06269).
There are parking spaces on Whitney Road adjacent to the math department and they become available after 5 PM or on weekends, so you can use the spaces during those times without getting a ticket. But during regular business hours (weekdays before 5 PM) you should use the South parking garage.
- Once you reach the math department, enter it and take the stairs or elevator if necessary to find the office of the person you are visiting.