-  -   home   -  -  -   research   -  -  -   teaching   -  -  -   publications   -  -  -   vitae   -  -  

Math 2210 - Fall 2016

Instructor: Jeffrey Connors
E-mail: jeffrey.connors@uconn.edu
Office: ACD 114C
Office hours: M,W 3:15-4:15 PM, or by appointment. Also, video-chat sessions may be possible.

Class time and room: MWF 11:15 AM - 12:05 PM in ACD 304.
Text: Linear Algebra and its Applications, Fifth Edition, by Lay, Lay and McDonald. NOTE: students may also use the Fourth Edition.
The applied linear algebra course covers methods and theory for linear systems of equations and linear operators, from a computational point of view. Topics are shown below.

PDF SYLLABUS

Homework: Homework will be assigned for each lecture and collected each Wednesday of the following week. Late homework is penalized at rate of 10% once late, with an additional 10% deduction for each full week that passes after the due date. Example 1: you turn it in the day after it is due, then there is a 10% deduction for lateness. Example 2: you turn it in the following Wednesday, 1 week after it was due. Then there is a total 20% deduction for lateness.

Calculators: The use of calculators will not be permitted on exams. Calculators may be used on homework.

Grading policy: The course grade is 40% homework, 15% exam 1, 15% exam 2 and 30% final exam.

Final exam: The final exam is scheduled for Wednesday, Dec. 14 from 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM in ACD 304. The exam is cumulative.


Dates    Book Sections    Topics    Exercises
Aug. 29-Sept. 2     1.1, 1.2     Systems of linear equations, row reduction, echelon forms     Sect. 1.1 #1, 3, 10, 13, 22, 24
                   Sect. 1.2 #1, 3, 7, 8, 19, 21, 22
Sept. 5      ---      Labor Day - no class
Sept.7, 9     1.3, 1.4     Vector equations, matrix form     Sect. 1.3 #1, 6, 9, 12, 14, 21, 26
                   Sect. 1.4 #6, 7, 9, 12, 22, 24, 25, 40
Sept. 12-16     1.5, 1.7     Solution sets, linear independence     Sect. 1.5 #2, 6, 12, 23
                Sect. 1.7 #1, 6, 8, 9, 15, 20, 22, 33, 34
Sept. 19-23     1.8, 1.9     Linear transformations     Sect. 1.8 #2, 4, 7, 11, 16, 19, 20
                Sect. 1.9 #1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 19, 27
Sept. 26-30     1.10, 2.1     Linear models, matrix operations     Sect. 1.10 #2, 3, 9, 11
                Sect. 2.1 #1, 4, 7, 9, 12, 16, 21, 22, 27
Oct. 3-7     2.2, 2.3     Inverse matrices     Sect. 2.2 #3, 4, 6, 10, 26, 31, 32
Oct. 3-7             Sect. 2.3 #2, 4, 8, 12, 15
Oct. 10     ---     Review for Exam 1
Oct. 12     ---     Exam 1
Oct. 14     3.1     Determinants     Sect. 3.1 #2, 10, 12
Oct. 17-21     4.1, 4.2     Vector spaces, connections to linear transformations     Sect. 4.1 #2, 3, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18
                Sect. 4.2 #1, 3, 5, 16, 18, 22, 24, 26
Oct. 24-28     4.3, 4.4     Linear independence, bases, coordinate systems     Sect. 4.3 #2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 14, 19, 22
                Sect. 4.4 #3, 7, 8, 12, 14
Oct. 31-Nov. 4     4.5, 4.6     Dimension and rank     Sect. 4.5 #4, 6, 8, 14, 16, 20
                Sect. 4.6 #1, 4, 6, 8, 12, 15, 16, 18
Nov. 7-11     5.1, 5.2     Eigenvectors, eigenvalues, characteristic equation     Sect. 5.1 #3, 4, 8, 9, 13, 14, 18
                Sect. 5.2 #2, 4, 14, 16
Nov. 14     5.3     Diagonalization     Sect. 5.3 #2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
Nov. 16     ---     Review for Exam 2
Nov. 18     ---     Exam 2
Nov. 21-25     ---     Thanksgiving Break - no class
Nov. 28-Dec. 2     6.1, 6.2     Inner products, orthogonality and orthogonal sets     Sect. 6.1 #2, 4, 8, 10, 16, 18, 22
                Sect. 6.2 #2, 6, 10, 14, 20
Dec. 5     6.4     Gram-Schmidt process     Sect. 6.4 #2, 6, 10
Dec. 7     6.4     finish Gram-Schmidt process, begin Final Exam review
Dec. 9     ---    Review for Final Exam